MITAKATA | KEFALONIA | IONIAN ISLANDS
The Gentilini Retreat B&B is a special, magical place to relax and unwind surrounded by nature. Sit on your private patio, glass of chilled Robola in hand and look up at the dazzling display of stars on those long, balmy nights of summer. Breathe in the scents of rosemary, lavender and fig.
Stroll around the 20 acre estate with its centuries old olive trees from which we produce our exquisite organic extra-virgin olive oil, or indulge in a hobby such as drawing, painting or photography. Enjoy a delicious breakfast, made up of local produce, farm eggs and fruit freshly picked from the trees in the orchard, then take a dip in the cooling waters of our large pool.
Each large, comfortable room is individually furnished with its own private patio, bathroom and entrance.
As a guest of the Retreat you also enjoy free tastings and special discounts at the world-acclaimed Gentilini Winery. The central location of the Retreat makes it perfect for exploring everything this wonderfully diverse island has to offer.
Double rooms, each with private entrance and outside space, are spread out over a walled-in area of about 20 acres covered by cypress and olive trees, some over 500 years old. Dry-wall seating is provided throughout, to encourage walks and meditation. There is a large, private swimming pool tucked away in the olive grove. The rooms are all furnished and decorated individually to echo a familiar environment – in size, comfort and style. The space is geared for maximum relaxation and much-desired privacy.
EACH ROOM IS FURNISHED WITH:
Reservation with a pet:
The Gentilini estate has been in the family since 1770’s a dowry brought to Demetrio Gentilini by his young bride, Diamantula Volterra, The land, much of it lying outside the present-day perimeter, was well protected by the encircling hills and in close proximity to the Castle of St George, seat of the Venetian government and defensible stronghold against pirate raids and enemy attacks. The monumental size of some of the olive trees bear witness to continuous cultivation since antiquity. The cypress grove, on the other hand, is a modern feature, planted at the beginning of the 20th century by Spiridon Focas Cosmetatos, who married the last descendant of the Gentilini family.
The original two-storey house was not meant for continuous habitation. The owner would take up residence only during harvest time, to ensure that his part of the produce would be paid in, the land being farmed on a share-cropping basis. The house was of typical plan and construction. Indeed, the oldest part of the property consists of the remains of the ground floor storerooms for agricultural produce: oil, wine, fodder. An external staircase led to the living quarters: a succession of rooms opening on a central space. The stone masonry was always plastered, except for the vault under the staircase. The flat wooden ceiling upstairs created extra storage space. The more recent structures were erected after the devastating earthquakes of 1953 to house seasonal pickers from mainland Greece.
Mitakata 281 00 Argostoli
Tel: +30 6942263655
E-maiL: [email protected]